Monday, August 17, 2026
Advertise With Us
E-Paper
Shaharbeen Times
Urdu E-Papaer
  • Home
  • Ladakh
  • Kashmir
  • Jammu
  • India
  • World
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Ladakh
  • Kashmir
  • Jammu
  • India
  • World
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Business
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Shaharbeen Times
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Surgical instrument found in woman’s abdomen five years after surgery in….

Agencies by Agencies
February 20, 2026
in Health, India
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Surgical instrument found in woman’s abdomen five years after surgery in….
Share on FacebookShare on WhatsAppShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

KOCHI: An artery forceps was found inside the abdomen of a Punnapra native, five years after she underwent surgery at Alappuzha Medical College in Vandanam, relatives said on Friday.Usha Joseph was shifted to a private hospital in Kochi on Friday to undergo a procedure to remove the surgical instrument.According to relatives, Joseph underwent surgery for the removal of a uterine fibroid at the medical college on May 2021.However, after the surgery, she had been suffering from recurring abdominal pain, her son Shibin told reporters.Though she approached doctors at the same hospital multiple times, the cause of the pain was not identified, he alleged.

Recently, Joseph consulted a doctor, suspecting that the pain was due to a kidney stone, who advised an X-ray examination, he said.Shibin said the X-ray reportedly showed an artery forceps, after which doctors at the medical college offered to remove it next week.“However, we do not want any further issues and moved to a private hospital. The doctors here will scan and locate the exact position and will perform the surgery soon,” Shibin said.He said the family wants the instrument to be removed from his mother’s body at the earliest and alleged that doctors at the medical college had said no compensation would be paid for the error.“The doctors at the medical college told us that we can lodge a complaint if we want to. We have now decided to file a complaint at the Ambalapuzha police station,” he said.Meanwhile, Dr Lalithambika, a retired surgeon at Alappuzha Medical College, against whom the family had raised allegations of surgical error, told reporters that she did not perform the surgery.

The surgery happened just before my retirement, when I was not attending any major cases. As the unit chief, my name was recorded. Also, the surgery happened during the COVID period, and I was engaged with it,” she said.She also denied allegations that she took money from patients before surgery.“I did not take any money from patients for any surgery. You can ask any patient I attended,” she said.She said it was not a scissor but a mosquito forceps of very small size that was seen in Joseph’s body.“It is a magnified view in the X-ray. A mosquito is a small surgical tool used to clamp small blood vessels. No doubt that it should not happen,” she said.She attributed the error to a system failure in a government hospital.“Usually, the floor nurse should write down the instruments used for surgery on a board and count them when the procedure is completed. However, in government hospitals, there are no floor nurses and no such practice is followed,” she said.Lalithambika said Joseph had undergone surgery earlier as well and it needs to be examined whether the instrument remained in the body from that procedure.“This instrument can remain in the body for as long as 20 to 30 years,” she said.Health Minister Veena George said officials who were part of the surgery and are currently in government service will be suspended as part of the inquiry.According to her, a preliminary inquiry was conducted into the matter and a report was submitted to the Director of Medical Education (DME).“It is a painful incident that should not have happened. Based on the preliminary inquiry report, the DME has formed an expert committee comprising senior doctors to conduct a detailed inquiry into the incident,” she said.She said expert doctors from Kottayam and Thiruvananthapuram Medical Colleges have been deputed to Alappuzha Medical College as part of the inquiry.“The team is expected to give a detailed report soon. Based on the report, all legal steps will be taken without any leniency. The report will also be forwarded to the police for legal proceedings,” she said.George said she had spoken to Joseph’s family, who also told her about consulting the concerned doctor at her residence.“As part of the inquiry, it will also be checked whether such a consultation has happened. The allegation by the family shows that after availing non-practising allowance, they are engaged in medical practice at home,” she said.

ShareSendTweetShare
Previous Post

35-Year-Old Murdered Sons, 10 And 13, Lead Cops To Killer

Next Post

Afghanistan launches military strikes

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

India

Contractual Staff to Be Regularised…

July 29, 2026
BREAKING NEWS:Dharmendra Pradhan Resigns as Union Education Minister Amid Student Protests
Top News

BREAKING NEWS:Dharmendra Pradhan Resigns as Union Education Minister Amid Student Protests

July 25, 2026
India

Prime Minister Modi shared another Instagram reel thanking citizens for their “insightful” suggestions

July 25, 2026
Modi warns of Congress’ ‘hateful conspiracies’ ahead of Maharashtra elections
Top News

PM Modi Announces Fast-Track Courts to Tackle Paper Leaks, Vows Strict Action Against Culprits

July 23, 2026

Recent Posts

Two Teenagers Killed, Two Injured as Lightning Strikes Group in Kokernag’s Gawran

Two Teenagers Killed, Two Injured as Lightning Strikes Group in Kokernag’s Gawran

August 13, 2026
Annual Amarnath Yatra to start from June 29

Amarnath Yatra Suspended From Aug 9 Amid Track Restoration, Adverse Weather

August 8, 2026
Footballer Dies After Lightning Strike During Match; 12 Others Injured

Footballer Dies After Lightning Strike During Match; 12 Others Injured

August 6, 2026
After decades of waiting, Kashmir’s frozen passes finally find a way through

Traffic Suspended on NH-44 From Both Ends After Fresh Landslide Near Dawal Bridge

August 3, 2026
Dr Jitendra Singh Congratulates J&K Cricketer Auqib Nabi on India Test Call-Up

Dr Jitendra Singh Congratulates J&K Cricketer Auqib Nabi on India Test Call-Up

August 3, 2026

Baby Girl Dies in Household Accident in Anantnag

August 2, 2026

ABOUT SHAHARBEEN TIMES

Daily Shaharbeen Times is one of Kashmir’s trusted and credible newspapers, published from Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir, India. Over the years, we have earned a strong reputation for delivering accurate, impartial, and responsible journalism, providing comprehensive coverage of local, national, and international events.

Our editorial team is committed to reporting facts with integrity, professionalism, and independence. From breaking news and politics to business, sports, health, education, and human-interest stories, we strive to keep our readers informed with timely and reliable news.

QUICK LINKS

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Terms & Conditions

CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Health
  • Hindi
  • India
  • Jammu
  • Kashmir
  • Ladakh
  • Opinion
  • Photo Gallery
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Top News
  • World

WE ARE SOCIAL!

Facebook Instagram Youtube Twitter Whatsapp

© 2026 Shaharbeen Times. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Top News
  • Jammu
  • Kashmir
  • Ladakh
  • India
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Photo Gallery
  • Hindi
  • Tech
  • Important Pages
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Advertise With Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms & Conditions

© 2026 Shaharbeen Times. All Rights Reserved.